Thursday, October 6, 2011

Interviewing an Artist: Week 6 Writing Assignment

I interviewed Ashton Popiel, who graduated from University of the Arts in Philadelphia this past spring. She's a friend of mine, but more importantly, she's an amazing photographer. 
http://www.ashtonpopiel.com/


What motivates you to make your artwork?
"For me and my music photography, it's the artistic expression and the challenge of capturing a moment that motivates me. When I'm photographing a band performing their art, I want to utilize my tools and use my art to show off their emotion in the best way that I can, which is through imagery. Music has been prominent throughout my entire life and when I'm in the press pit photographing a band, I feel like I'm giving back to a community that has given me so much for the past 24 years."

What are you trying to communicate through your artwork?
"What I try to communicate through my photographs is how passionate these musicians are when they're performing. When shooting, I tend to isolate the artist by themselves within the frame so all of the attention is on them and everything else is just background noise. The connection between a fan and a musician is incredibly important, and I try to carry that out of the venue and into a still moment in time with my images."

No comments:

Post a Comment