Thursday, September 15, 2011

Week 3: Writing Assignment

 Dune, White Sands National Monument, New Mexico, c. 1942 - Ansel Adams


1. Photo draws your eye, catches your interest. This photo caught my eye because of the strong value contrast between the white sand and the grass/plants and its shadows. (The photo in the book I have is much brighter and not as gray as this crappy one found on the internet.) The long shadows caught my eye as well. They bring your eye down the photograph while the blades of grass bring your eye back up the photograph.
2. Angle or point of view. The angle works because most of the photograph is the sand dune. If Adams took the photo further up the sand dune, I don't think he would get the same effect with the shadows.
3. Makes the viewer think or react emotionally. The only "emotional" reaction I got from this photograph was the fact that I visited the Outerbanks in North Carolina Summer 2010 and took a ton of photos at a state park that was all sand dunes. It brought me back.
4. Has a message, or pushes barriers. I don't think this photo in particular has a message or pushes barriers. It's simple, which is what I like.
5. The subject matter is interesting. As I stated before, the shadows the grass makes are interesting. If this was just a photo of a sand dune I don't think it would have caught my eye as much.
6. Tells a story. Again, I don't think this photo tells a story.
7. Catches the ‘critical moment’ when action is at it’s peak. Ansel Adams was always good at taking advantage of the natural sunlight at certain times of day, such as this photo. Whether it's the slope of the sand dune or the angle of the sun to create the shadows, it works in this photograph.
8. Clear focus of photo (both the sharpness and primary subject matter). The photograph is very sharp all over. The grass at the top of the photo is just as in focus as the grass in the foreground. If the grass at the top wasn't in focus but softer, I don't think it would work as well because the sand itself is so soft and the photograph would need something sharper.
9. Design elements: composition, framing, lines, movement. As I stated before, the lines and movement are very strong and it was something that caught my eye. I feel as if the taller plant is a little distracting, but then again without it I think the photo would be empty.
10. Lighting interesting. Again, what I love about Ansel Adams is the fact that he always took advantage of the natural sunlight and the different angle of the sun and the effects it created. He took advantage of the angle of the sun to create interest in this photograph.
11. Technically proficient (exposure, focus, etc). The photo isn't too dark (at least in the book I have) and it's not too bright so the exposure works. Again, the entire photograph is in focus.
12. Good printing: frame, paper, size, all match content. Considering this photo is in a book, there really is no framing besides the layout of the photo on the page. The size is big enough where you can see the details.

No comments:

Post a Comment